Friday, February 25, 2011
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Monday, February 21, 2011
Monday, February 14, 2011
Sunday, February 13, 2011
menarek kan???cited from here
A brilliant project by Leen Sadder, a graduate student at The School of Visual Arts:
"The MISWAK is a tooth-cleaning twig used mainly in the Middle East, Pakistan and India. Traditionally, the top is bitten off with every use to reveal soft bristles similar to that of a toothbrush.
THIS aims to repackage and promote the miswak as an organic, biodegradable, portable, more beneficial substitute for toothpaste and a toothbrush. The biggest challenge was figuring out how to package and market the twig to a contemporary American audience, who would not be entertained with the idea of biting off the top of the stick in order to use it. The solution for this is a cigar-cutter-like cap that peels off the outer layer to reveal the natural bristles, and slices them off after use. It also protects the stick from germs and microbes."
"Along with packaging, a campaign was designed to promote THIS. Using photographs of various sticks and a contrasting photograph of THIS toothbrush in a clean bathroom, a series of posters and print ads was designed to show the simplicity of the product.
In addition, an online campaign was launched which offered to donate a tooth-stick to a person in a developing country with every THIS purchase."
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Though no one has been able to come out with conclusions that can correctly state the threshold level of mercury doses in fish, the Bureau of Health Environmental Toxicity Program has collected data and has categorized the fish in two levels; one that contain high levels of mercury and the other containing very less levels of mercury. Fish that are low in mercury content are recommended for eating. Some fish, like tilefish, swordfish, king mackerel and shark come under the category of high mercury containing fish. Various other shellfish and fish containing lower levels of mercury are tuna, halibut, catfish, oysters, shrimps, crab king etc.
The research carried out was based on a certain number of samples of the fish collected from various sources. This research was just from a sample of hundreds of fish, so we can't confidently say that if we eat the fish of low mercury content, we are saved from the threat of mercury poisoning. It's all just a possibility. However, preferring fish low in mercury content is the safest route to take, in case you include fish very often in your diet.
Mercury Poisoning from Fish: Symptoms
Levels of mercury in the environment increase due to the discharge of gases from chemical and power plant industries. The mercury from the air is deposited into water and there the bacteria convert the element mercury into a dangerous compound methylmercury. The chief reason behind mercury poisoning from fish consumption is the presence of toxic methylmercury. The effects of mercury poisoning depend on the extent of mercury consumed and the time for which the person has been exposed to mercury. Read more on mercury poisoning symptoms.
Mercury poisoning from fish can cause permanent damage to the brain and kidneys. When absorbed by the skin, mercury and its compounds can trigger allergic reactions. If ingested in the body, mercury causes severe renal and gastrointestinal disorders. Pregnant women, infants and children have adverse affects of mercury poisoning from fish, as it hampers the neurological development of the brain. During the pregnancy period, if the mother suffers from mercury poisoning then it can lead to the poor development of the child and he may be born with some defects like poor memory and damaged brain cells. Some more symptoms of mercury poisoning from fish consumption are as follows:
- Vision impairment.
- Numbness in hands and feet.
- Poor coordination of muscles.
- Problems related to speech, walking and the neurological system.
- Muscle weakness.
- Mood swings and erratic behavior.
- Mental imbalance.
In urgent cases of mercury poisoning, it is best to seek hospital care or consult a doctor. The medical experts will perform diagnostic tests and try to expel the poison from the body, by providing various treatments. Some of the treatment methods for mercury poisoning are chelation therapy, activated charcoal, gastric lavage etc. It is to be understood that higher doses of mercury consumption can lead to death, so it is important to take precautions. It is important that we use water filters in our home, for drinking and cooking purposes. Besides mercury spills, consuming freshwater fish is the leading cause of mercury poisoning. Pregnant women and children must especially limit the consumption of fish in their diet. According to experts, a child under 6 years of age must not be fed a little tuna fish more than once a month. For children between 6 to 12 years old, the limit of consumption is twice a month. Even adults must follow a strict regime of one fish meal per week. Identifying the possible sources of mercury poisoning and taking adequate precautionary measures can go a long way in reducing the risk of mercury poisoning.
You may read more on
Saturday, February 5, 2011
dak-dak terlebeyh semangat